Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Homeward Bound

This painting is called Homeward Bound. I painted it last summer inspired by the weekends Phil and I spend taking a ferry to our little cottage on Vashon Island. Vashon is a lovely 15 minute ferry ride across Puget Sound. It is one of my favorite parts of the weekend. I just love getting on that boat and leaving all our cares behind. I always get the feeling that we are going home on the way there. I keep my eyes open watching for whales. They do come down this far in Puget sound but it is somewhat rare. I have seen orca whales twice on the ferry from West Seattle to Vashon, what a thrill!
It seems that we are in a time when we can all use a getaway to escape from our fears, worries, and concerns. It seems that everyone has something we are dealing with and if we don't, all we have to do is look around and find things to worry about. Phil and I feel very blessed to have a place to remind us to stay in the moment, get grounded and be grateful for all of our blessings.
Being grateful is so important and it's easy to find things to be grateful for- like take a deep breath, ahhhh, I can breath, I am thankful that I have lungs and for that breath. I can see that beautiful flower or sunset.
Oh I am so thankful I have eyes to see with!

Homeward Bound started as a watercolor painting, I then painted a canvas as a background for it. I glued the watercolor painting to the painted canvas. Then I applied layers of specialty papers and more paint to create a collage like appearance. A technique I developed over time.
It is approximately 20"x20"x2"
Watercolor painting on paper, acrylic and specialty papers on canvas.

1 comment:

  1. I like your Homeward Bound painting! Great! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete